Health is about so much more than just eating well! You also need to take care of other things in your life that nourish you.
1. Practice deep conscious breathing throughout the day. You’ll be amazed at the immediate calming effect it has on your body. The “one-breath” meditation is a powerful, straightforward relaxation technique that can be practiced anytime, anywhere from your office to the subway!
Try it whenever you feel fatigued or out of whack: sit in a comfortable chair, straighten your back, relax your shoulders and take a deep breath. Let the air open your chest, and imagine that it is revitalizing every cell in your body. Hold your breath for a count of 3, then exhale releasing every bit of tension. Repeat 8 times for a quick pick-me-up!
2. We lead very sedentary lives today, so it’s important to exercise and be as active as you can throughout your day. Add movement in your day by taking the stairs instead of the lift; for those of you who work on the 35th floor, this may not be a good idea. However, you can take the lift to the 30th floor and walk from there! In the office, walk over to see your colleagues instead of using the phone… every step counts! Outside of work experiment with an exercise style that works for you:yoga, Pilates, martial arts, walking, running, cycling, rollerblading, swimming, dancing or competitive sports… anything that will get you moving, and that’s fun! One invaluable piece of advice that I can give you regarding exercise is that you need to determine if you are a morning person or a night person. I am a morning person, so I always exercise in the morning. I know that if I leave it to the evening, my energy will be too low, and I will never do it!
3. Take a 30-minute appointment with yourself every day, and treat yourself to regular quiet time. Turn your phone off, let everyone know that you don’t want to be disturbed, listen to music, study, pray, meditate… recharge yourself… whatever works, so you can relax!
4. Cultivate gratitude: First thing in the morning and right before going to bed at night, think of 3 things you’re grateful for in your life.
5. Foster a sense of humor; hum or sing a happy song every day and smile!
6. Keep your home in good order: You are your home!